In 1959, a homeowners group called the Ridgemoor Homeowners Association decided to incorporate as a village in order to be able to guide the development of farmland which surrounded their homes. Changes in the law scheduled to become effective January 1, 1960, which would require a population of 400 for incorporation, caused this group of 167 people to expedite its request to be made a village.
How the Village Got Its Name
While the case for incorporation was before the court, the attorney for the homeowners association called the president, Anton Borse, frantically asking for a name for the new village. Borse looked out his window and saw the willow trees along the creek at the back of his property and promptly gave the village its name. Willowbrook became one of the State’s smallest villages on January 18, 1960.