Downers Grove Regional Peer Jury
The Village of Willowbrook is excited to announce its participation in the recently formed Downers Grove Regional Peer Jury program. A Peer Jury is an alternative to court for first-time juvenile offenders of non-serious offenses, such as theft, vandalism, disorderly conduct, tobacco possession or underage drinking. The jury is comprised of high-school aged student volunteers. Juveniles must agree to the peer jury process and provide an admission of guilt to participate in the program.
In 2018, the Downers Grove Village Council directed staff to operate a peer jury program for qualifying cases from municipalities nearby Downers Grove which previously participated in the Downers Grove Township program. This cooperative effort includes Burr Ridge, Clarendon Hills, Darien, Downers Grove, Hinsdale, Oak Brook, & Willowbrook. The Downers Grove Regional Peer Jury was sworn in by DuPage County State's Attorney Robert Berlin on October 16, 2018.
The Peer Jury's purpose is to provide a means for the young offender to account for their own behavior to a group of peers and repair the harm caused to the victim and to the surrounding community. Peer Jury does not determine guilt or innocence. Peer Jurors attempt to understand why the offender committed the offense and then determine the consequences to help the offender be accountable for their actions and further develop the offender into an upstanding member of the community. Peer Jurors sign an oath of confidentiality and are required to recuse themselves from any case in which they know or could know the offender. All juveniles appearing before the Peer Jury are treated with dignity and respect.
The Village of Willowbrook is currently accepting applications to fill four (4) juror positions on the Downers Grove Regional Peer Jury. Please read the following information for the selection process before submitting an application:
◦ The four positions have been allocated to Willowbrook residents who will be entering their junior year in high school during the 2019-2020 school year. Sophomore students may submit an application to be considered for this selection process in the event that any rosters spots remain open.
◦ Jurors will be randomly selected from the pool of applicants who have submitted an application by Monday, September 9, 2019 at 5pm.
◦ Jurors will serve a two-year term through their senior year of high school.
◦ No more than two applicants will be selected from any one of the following schools: Hinsdale Central, Hinsdale South, or a private high school.
◦ Selected jurors will be required to attend an orientation session from 5pm-7pm on Thursday, October 3, 2019.
Fill out your Juror Application here to be a part of the program.
NOTE: This application is for Willowbrook residents only. If you live in a different municipality that participates in the program, please contact your municipality if you are interested in becoming a peer juror.
Questions regarding the application process can be submitted to email@example.com.
- 11/26/2019 (Tuesday)
- 04/23/2020 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- A willingness to commit 2-3 hours a month to attend peer jury hearings
- Possess an interest in helping peers and the community
- Must have parent or guardian approval to participate
- Must be trusted to keep confidential information @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Damage to Property
- Retail Theft
- Disorderly Conduct
- Criminal Trespass
- Possession of Alcohol
- Possession of cannabis/drug paraphernalia
- Other Cases as Approved @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>